** Please complete the following steps in the order that they are listed**
***BEHIND THE WHEEL INSTRUCTION IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN SHENANDOAH COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
ALL OTHERS ARE INELIGIBLE***
1. As a 10th Grade student, enroll in the PE/Driver's Ed 10
2. Complete the classroom portion of the Course with a 69% or higher.
3. Take and pass the written Driver's Education test at the DMV.
4. Complete the 45 hours of supervised driving and record hours on the time sheet.
5. Print a Behind the Wheel application or pick up one up in the School Counseling Center.
6. Fill out the Behind the Wheel application, including a parent/guardian's signature.
7. Turn in completed application and payment to Mrs. Hull in the School Counseling Center.
8. The Behind the Wheel instructor will call you to give you the Behind the Wheel Schedule. Students are scheduled in the order of when they can receive their driver's license, not in order of when they paid.
Following successful completion of Behind the Wheel and after holding a Virginia DMV learner's permit for a full 9 months, a 180 day provisional driver's license can be issued.
9. A parent with a valid driver's license must accompany the student to the School Counseling Center.
10. You will receive a letter in the mail from Richmond enclosed with your assigned court date and time.
Links: Behind the Wheel application
Student/Parent Guide Packet
** Under Special Approved Circumstances a student may be permitted to take the Classroom portion of Driver's Education online through the Virginia Association for Driver's Education and Traffic Safety.
Download the VADETS Paperwork or pick up the Paperwork from the School Counseling Center to see if you qualify for this service. **
If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Linda Weaver-Hull in the School Counseling Center at 540-459-4132